Aviemore St. Aidan’s Church History
The driving force in building this church was Miss Anastasia Patricia Keogh from Wexford in Ireland. She was a nurse, who served in Egypt and Palestine during the First World War. She was also nursing in the front line in Jerusalem. Patricia came to Aviemore in 1939. The nearest church was then in Kingussie 12 miles away. Some people were traveling by taxi for a Sunday Mass. She made arrangements to have Mass said in a private house Kinakyle in Aviemore twice a month on Sundays. The priest was coming from Kingussie. In 1950 she heroically decided to build a little church in Aviemore out of her life savings and organising collections. St. Aidan’s church in Aviemore was built in 1951. First Mass was celebrated in the church 23rd December 1951 with a congregation of 31. The church was dedicated to St. Aidan’s on 8th September 1952 by Right Reverend Francis Walsh Bishop of Aberdeen.
The extension was added to the original building in 1972 by the then parish priest Fr David Keith This was opened and blessed on 8th Sept 1972 by Right Reverend Michael Foylan bishop of Aberdeen. In the intervening years Miss Keogh also undertook the erection of the Chapel House in honour of the Blessed mother of God.
Patricia Anastasia Keogh passed away 24th September 1956 aged 70.
Mass at Aviemore over the years was celebrated:
1951 – 1952 From Kingussie every 2nd week.
1953 – 55 from Aberlour, Fr. McLaughlin
1956 – 58 By Fr. Douglas Stuart It gives a presumption that the chapel house was built in 1956
1959 – 62 Bishop Edward Douglas (retired Bishop of Motherwell 1948-54) [1901-1967]
1963 – 74 Fr. David Keith
1975 – 76 Fr. Eamon Mackin
1976 – 77 Fr. Patrick Grady
1978 – 82 Fr. Oliver Martin, Norbertan Priest
1983 Fr. Jack Brady
1984 – 88 Fr. Peter Barry
1989 – 98 Fr. John McQuade SJ
1998 – 01 Fr. Benedict Lodge CP (Passionist) resident in Kingussie
2001 – 04 Fr. John Paul MacKinnon, resident in Kingussie
2004 – 18 Fr. Derrick McCulloch
2018 – 19 Fr. Francis Agada, resident in Kingussie
2020 – Fr. Andrew Harden
Our Lady of the Snows tapestry,
Our Lady of the Snows Window.